Opportunity to join national arts + health organisation
Waterford Healing Arts Trust (WHAT), Ireland’s leading arts and health organisation, is seeking exceptional individuals to join its Board of Directors.
Established in 1993, WHAT brings arts experiences – music, creative writing, painting, storytelling – to the bedsides of patients at University Hospital Waterford (UHW) and other healthcare settings in the community. WHAT believes that exposure to the arts softens the healthcare environment and reduces anxiety and stress for patients, families and staff. WHAT further believes the arts contribute to the wellbeing and vitality of society as a whole, and that engaging with the arts stimulates the participant’s sense of identity and creativity. WHAT also has a national remit to develop arts and health in Ireland and manages the highly regarded resource website www.artsandhealth.ie
The organisation operates from the WHAT Centre for Arts and Health, the first of its kind in Ireland, on the UHW campus, enabling the organisation to bridge its work between the acute hospital setting and the wider community. WHAT is a registered charity and is core funded by the Arts Council, HSE and Department of Social Protection.
Individuals interested in joining the WHAT Board of Directors should have:
- A knowledge of, or empathy with, not-for-profit organisations
- Familiarity with governance practice and the responsibilities of a Board member
- Expertise in one or more of the following:
– Arts (eg. artists working in collaborative practice, cultural diversity, arts management, collections management, public art)
– Healthcare/Community (eg. healthcare, health promotion, community development, cultural diversity, equality)
– Financial (eg. financial management/ accountancy)
– Governance (legal)
Additionally, WHAT welcomes interest from individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds and experiences.
Membership of the WHAT Board of Directors is a voluntary, unpaid position. Board members serve a four-year term, renewable to a maximum of eight years. The Board meets up to six times per year, virtually or in person.
Announcing the Board recruitment drive, Catherine Drea, Chair of Waterford Healing Arts Trust, said “As we embark on a new strategic phase, we are looking for four exceptional individuals with arts, healthcare/community, financial or governance experience to join our Board of Directors. We have been fortunate to date to have extremely committed, active members who have guided and supported the organisation to becoming a highly respected national arts and health organisation. We are all proud to be associated with Waterford Healing Arts Trust. We hope that the new Board members will make a real and invaluable contribution to the organisation’s governance and development and to its continued success in the coming years. They will in turn benefit from the perspectives and expertise of other Board members, as well as the Waterford Healing Arts Trust Executive.”
Individuals interested in joining the Board of Directors should forward the following details to Claire Meaney, Director, Waterford Healing Arts Trust, claireA.email@example.com by 10 December 2021 at 12 noon:
- A short text on your background and interest, why you would like to join the Board and what you can bring to Waterford Healing Arts Trust (max 250 words)
- You may also submit, if you wish, a CV or biography, including details of any past service as a Board member, charity trustee or other volunteering
For further information and/or an informal chat please contact Claire Meaney on 051 842664 / claireA.firstname.lastname@example.org